Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dobson Video Might Help

19 June 11:50 am

It troubles me that some writers say it's OK to swat, spank or corporally punish. Even when they recommend some moderation, I believe they leave open the option to strike a child with ferocity. I don't see anyone using a doll to video the correct striking of a child. If someone, like James Dobson, whose books sell millions of copies, were to be THAT specific in how to correctly strike a child (I believe there is NO correct way to strike a child), I believe there would be some value. By modeling some calm, recommending a waiting period before the punishment. Maybe by requiring that the angry response subside, that you explain calmly to the child why the offending behavior will not be tolerated, the parent could find himself having accomplished the goal without raising his hand.

I believe that such a video by a resource like Dobson might reduce raging attacks on children by parents. While it saddens me that anyone considered an authority would advocate hitting a child, such an influential person as Dobson could singlehandedly reduce violence against children by demonstrating, on video, the spanker's head is clear, temper is not a factor.

Ultimately, I would hope that the video-viewing parent, while calming and collecting him/herself for an upcoming spanking, might reconsider the need for violence and consider time in the bedroom or "a good talking to."

No comments: