Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Silenced via Backhand

26 June 08

My mom told me years ago, after watching a child whine for cooperation from his mom, that she cured me of whining at 2 years old with a back-hand. She has apologized.

She also told me I was a two and three year old that didn't touch stuff, looked at it, but didn't touch. We could visit a friend of hers and I would establish myself as a kid that didn't need "child-proofing." I've wondered what kind of toddler didn't touch stuff. I do believe it is a trained and frightened one.

An adult friend of my brother's noticed how I changed around my mom. He said, "You've studied and taught martial arts, were No. 1 in your police academy class, have taught businessmen and politicians how to speak more effectively. How can you be so afraid of this little lady?" My step sister noticed it as well, when, after I'd been there for several hours, my mother arrived at their home. Mom had been there about an hour when step-sis quietly said, "Boy, does your mom cramp your style."

I used to have brawls with my step-teen-aged boys after I visited my mom. Something exhausting about being on my best behavior to avoid enraging my mom. When we got home I was primed for a fight.

No comments: